Montag, Mai 29, 2006

Back in Calgary

After 5 months of nomadic life I am back in Calgary. December - March I spent in Baja www.radiofreebaja.blogspot.com. April/May I spent in Austria - mostly with family and friends, but also to do a little bit of research in regard to low energy / green buildings in Austria.

This is what i found out or got confirmed by my experience in the last few months:
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT AUSTRIA
-family and friends, of course.
-tasty dark bread, which I have only found in Europe so far.
-tasty affordable wine - a glass of good white wine under 2$!
-buildings that are 200, 300 or even 1000 years old.
-strolling around in the inner city in Vienna to admire the Hofburg, Opera, museums, cathedrales.
-good public transportation.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT CALGARY (in other words: what i missed in Austria ;-)
-the friendliness of the average stranger, the average stranger in Calgary smiles at me; the average stranger in Austria looks at me - let's put it that way - not that friendly.
-the politeness of drivers, people waving at me when i let them in front of me in my lane. I didn't get any friendly waving in Austria, only fists, fingers and honking.
-non-smoking coffee houses.
-Alberta blue sky - although upon my return the Alberta blue sky was hiding behind clouds for three days - hopefully that changes soon :)

Vik is so awesome to let me stay in his downtown apartment - here is a view from the balcony (this picture is dedicated to car fan Emil)



view from the 11th floor - down...



...and towards downtown.

Now, i am about to recover from my jetlag and the cold I caught on the plane - so that i have enough energy to find an interesting job!

4 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Welcome home Anna! We'll have to get together soon, did I email you my new address and phone #?

Anonym hat gesagt…

ich wünsch dir alles gute bei deiner jobsuche! habe unseren wien tag sehr genossen.
alles liebe, sylvia

Anonym hat gesagt…

"I didn't get any friendly waving in Austria, only fists, fingers and honking."

Nach einem Heurigenbesuch darf man nicht so auffällig fahren. Bei uns in Europa muß man sich an gewisse Verkehrsregeln halten!

Anna hat gesagt…

Mmmh..I wonder who the anonymous is...