Samstag, Jänner 17, 2009

What's your walk score?

- Check out this website: http://www.walkscore.com

- Type in your address, and find out, how your neighbourhood scores in walkability.

In case you decide to move someplace else, this might be a good decision tool!

In my perfect life, walking would be part of my lifestyle. I would LOVE to be able to walk to work, walk to the grocery store, walk to the coffee house etc. But lately - many degrees Celsius, snow, darkness, distance to work, etc. have kept me from walking, cycling, really doing anything outside during the week (and I am pretty good at making up excuses...).

Photo Credit: Flickr


Off to go for a walk on a beautiful, sunny, warm Saturday!

5 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Cool! My neighbourhood rated
77 out of 100 = Very Walkable.

Anna hat gesagt…

Lucky you! AND you work downtown - I am jealous :)

Anonym hat gesagt…

Personally, I would NOT rely on this to rate a neighborhood I didn't know and was considering moving to.

I just typed in my address and received a score of 95 - a "walker's paradise" according to the algorithm.

I live in New York City, in the western part of Harlem, and my neighborhood is definitely no walker's paradise.

Sure, my individual street is pretty, but go one block east or west and pretty is quickly replaced by unpleasant and possibly scary.

I think this program considers items found in, say, telephone directories and on maps. Is there a deli, a train stop, Starbucks, a park, etc. nearby? But does not consider "street factors" such as loitering hoodlums, loud music, litter and graffiti, and the condition of shops and restaurants.

Is it a well-kept deli with a variety of produce or a filthy corner bodega filled with moldy onions and guys drinking beer? Is "Shanghai Palace" an inventive Chinese restaurant with gracious hosts, or one of those dingy take-away places with surly workers behind a bullet-proof glass window?

I don't think a program like "walk score" knows these things, and these things make a world of difference.

Anna hat gesagt…

I think you are right, Sean. This tool does not say anything about the safety or beauty of the walk or other street factors.

I have only been to New York once, and I remember it to be more walking friendly than many cities out west - at least there are side walks & public transit and not just freeways!

Vik hat gesagt…

I rec'd a 93/100 walker's paradise...=-)