Mittwoch, Mai 09, 2007

Who knew...




Did you know that Calgary was named after a place in Scotland? I didn't. Almost a little embarrassing after living here for 7 years. Well, now I know: Colonel McLeod named Boom Town after the Bay of Calgary on the Island of Mull. Apparently it means clear river in Gaelic. The Bow river is pretty clear. Not so much the irrigation canal I ride along on my route to work. But that came later.

I found out about Calgary's name when I finally made it to my police check to City Hall. In 2 weeks I should get it and then I have everything the Austrian government wants from me regarding my application for dual citizenship. I wonder why Austria is a little greedy with citizenships. Other countries don't seem to have restrictions, they just make you learn their capital cities and anthem. The only two countries I know, that don't allow dual citizenship are Austria and Germany. I hope it works out - I have heard the rules are less stringent now than a few years ago. I cross my fingers this rumour is true. The lady at the Austrian consulate was not able to provide me with any success stories. Instead she told me about an Austrian woman - living in Canada, who tried to apply and she actually went to Austria in person to talk to the official there - only to get yelled at: "why do you think you want two citizenships! you are only a house wife! " Good grief. Netter Beamter. She was so upset that she gave up her Austrian citizenship. As I said I cross my fingers and hope this story is 20 years old.

Keine Kommentare: