Samstag, Dezember 15, 2007

Bali

I have been a little disorganised lately (lately might be redundant). I haven't been able to find my I-pod charger cable, so instead of listening to music I tuned into CBC radio on my commute to work.

In the past few years I have been avoiding listening to politicians on the radio. I find their communication style is too much based on blaming and finding excuses instead of collaboration and finding solutions.

But last week the news were filled with reports from the UN climate change conference in Bali and I must say it has been interesting. As you probably know, agreement on a global climate policy was finally reached on Saturday. Bravo!

Canada only grudgingly agreed. But a grudging agreement is better than no agreement at all. The environmental crisis can only be effectively dealt with on a global level. Emissions don't stop at the border. Every country has to be on board.

Climate policy analyst Eliot Diringer sums up the outcome of the conference:
''It puts no one on the hook right now for emissions reductions,'' he said. ''What's important, though, is that it lets no one off the hook either.''

So what was agreed at Bali?

The Telegraph reports that the 187 nations agreed on "deep" emission cuts, as well as plans for "clean" technology transfer to developing countries to help them reduce pollution levels, and plans for financial support to halt deforestation.

Sounds like the right thing to do.

What's next?

Now it's time to turn talk into action and be innovative.

And I might listen to the news on the radio more often.


1 Kommentar:

thanida hat gesagt…

vegus168
Thank you for sharing this useful information here.