Donnerstag, November 29, 2007

Faultline



Some pieces of art are easy to spot.

Like this sculpture of the Goddess Athena in front of the de young Museum in San Francisco.


***
Some pieces of art are not so easy to spot.

Like this art work by Andy Goldsworthy.

No, this is not just a crack in the pavement, but an artistic statement entitled "Faultline" by Andy Goldsworth - inspired by seismic activities so characteristic of California.


Andy G inspired by San Andy.





The botanical garden is right around the corner of the museum. When I am older and if I decide to settle down in the country side, I'd like my garden to be an oasis like this. That would be the perfect spot to sit in a rocking chair and read a book, or play bridge with my fellow old-lady girl friends after biscuits and afternoon tea.



The famous Redwood Tree - Sequoia Sempervirens.

I found out that there are two types: the Coastal and the California Redwood.

Not just the shopping carts and cereal packages are bigger in the United States, but California is also the home of the tallest trees in the world - some sequoias are taller than 100m. Wow. This one was not quite that tall, but it reminded me that Redwoods National Park is definitely on my "National Parks-to-Visit" list.



1 Kommentar:

Sarah hat gesagt…

Love your photos @ the Botanical Gardens & the De Young museum...reminds me of the time I spent there last Feb. What a great place to take in nature! Oh, and that future tea party you're planning sounds tempting too ;-)