Donnerstag, November 20, 2008

It's Official


On December 5th I am going to turn into a Canadian. I am going to take the oath of citizenship and swear to be faithful to her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second. I know, it sounds far fetched, so far away, across the ocean. But she is the Queen of Canada. Mmm...does that turn me into a Brit then too?

Canada has been good to me. Not many countries allow you to become one of them so "easily" . I say that now that that my memory is fading, forgotten are the stacks of form, that I had to fill out, medical exams, and the fingerprints, I had to get in both Canada and Austria years ago. And believe me, the Austrian authorities were testing my patience. Sending me up and down the stairs 5 x, charging me 70 Euro and then telling me: "Too bad that you are not a criminal: then you would have gotten the fingerprints for free. " Of course, they send me up and down the stairs again to pay the 70 Euro.

But still, at least it IS possible to become and feel like a Canadian. It wouldn't be that easy to become an Austrian. In fact, in Austria I'd be/ feel like a foreigner, if I moved to the other side of the country (In Tyrol, you are Tyrolian first, then Austrian, I hear). They would hear my Eastern Austrian accent, and treat me as such.

Here in the New World, I feel accepted, even with my Austro-Canadian accent. Arnie, the Styrian Oak, might have plowed the way for me. Although I think I am pretty good at saying "about" ::abAOUt:: :) And who knows, maybe the friendly Canadians do talk funny behind my back.

So thank you, all of you warm hearted Canadians out there in chilly winter wonderland, for accepting me as one of yours!

Yours forever,

Immigrant-Annie (aka Newcomer-Annie for my politically sensitive friends :)



4 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Im so thrilled you are an official beaver! We are truly blessed to have you in this country....now if we could only keep you. It will be an honour to celebrate with you as you officially become Austradian.
Love Malynne

Vik hat gesagt…

Congrats...Canadi-ANNA!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Congrats and welcome to the fold!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Congratulations Anna! Now you only need to start putting 'eh' at the end of every sentence as is your right as a citizen...