Montag, April 21, 2008

Walk in the Woods




This evening my mission was to find some yoghurt without sugar, starch and gelatine. I couldn't find it at the regular grocery store (meijers) yesterday, which by the way is HUGE, so I attempted the local health food store and scored.
Unfortunately my navigation skills are not the best yet in Michigan (maybe it's those damn left turns), and I got a little lost. Instead of Holland, I ended up in Saugatuck by Lake Michigan. But as it is, when you least expect anything, life sometimes offers some nice surprises:



I ended up by a parking lot by the Felt Mansion, from where several trails lead into Saugatuck State Park. Wikipedia tells me the mansion is a prison (!) since the 1970's. If I ever end up in prison, that's the one I'd pick.




The walk in the woods was beautiful, peaceful, and exactly what I needed. I forgot how much I enjoy being in the forest. I used to spend hours in the woods. Walks in the woods clear my mind, I love the silver bark of the beeches, and little squirrels running away from me puts a smile on my face. It doesn't take a lot -to make my day in the woods.


This forest grows on sand - the dunes from Lake Michigan.

Here is some GREEN! Highly appreciated after a winter in artic Calgary.


I was really surprised to find cacti and yuccas in Michigan:

Not quite like a cactus like in the Sonoran desert, but definitely prickly!


Yucca





Keine Kommentare: