Dienstag, Juni 02, 2009

Going Carless in Los Angeles


Greetings from LA and welcome to a new chapter of Anna's Adventures in the New World. I am currently making a move - starting to set up my life in Los Angeles.

Why LA? People have been asking me this question today - my official first work day out of the Santa Monica office.

Reason #1: Food. The food I ate in Calgary was mostly coming from California anyway. In an effort to eat locally, I decided to move closer to the source.

Reason #2: Warm weather and sunshine. Blue (ish - considering the smog) sky and warm weather, that's the way I - Leo Anna - like it!

Reason #3: People! I am sure that a state of 30 Million People has some interesting characters to offer. Most of the California Residents that I have met in the past years, have been awesome and interesting people, with progressive minds (although right now, I miss my Canadian friends :(...I made some wonderful friends up North)

Reason #4 Yoga: I look forward to continue my Iyengar yoga practice here - there appear to be quite a few studios offering Iyengar yoga!

Reason #5 Work: In my work I focus on sustainability. In the city, where I hear that you can sometimes taste the smog, there is a lot more incentive to take action to reduce the environmental footprint. So that should be good too.

In a nutshell, I'd say LifeStyle. It seems that anything you could possibly want to pursue, you can find it in LA. Unless you are trying to pursue a carless lifestyle, of course. Which I am planning on doing - at least for the first month.

No car for me for now! So what are my options?


Waiting for the bus is not so bad, when the sky is blue, palm trees are around and your busline is called sunset ride.

Walking to the bus station, these purple trees are currently blooming everywhere and smell like heaven.

On my way to Beverly Hills

My Surly LHT ready to go, a little shy next to the cool Beverly Hill Cruisers

LA is Succulent Central

mmm...this gas station on Olympic and Robertson almost makes me reconsider my no-driving choice ;)

Backyard Blooming

The June living room - a ranch house (which in LA lingo means it's a one story home)



More Home Shots

Two of my Roomies. Wag on the left, Boogie on the right.

Boogie whispering to Wag: "Ask her why she talks like Arnie, the Governator and stop staring at her, you make her nervous!"

That's it from LA for now. Other than that, I am taking in the Newness and enjoy one moment at the time. Best wishes!

Keine Kommentare: