Freitag, November 10, 2006

First Week



Done with my first week at Haworth! So far - so good. A job that starts off with a 4-day work week can't be too bad. I got Friday off, because it's Remembrance Day Long Weekend.

My boss seems to be a good guy and the projects I have been given are quite interesting. A little bit of every thing: engineering, R&D, code compliance and sustainability. To give you an example: one of my tasks is to evaluate different wood certification agencies that certify wood from sustainably harvested forests.

I enjoy working with aesthetically pleasing products - for a change. I couldn't say that a Nascor joist was particularly nice to look at.

Zody (the fully adjustable desk chair) at my new work station

It's also for the first time in my career that I work for a company that owns a corporate jet. If I am lucky, I might have the opportunity to fly on it next month.

Slowly, I am getting used to getting up before 6:00 am. Gaehn! 3 out of 4 days I rode my bicycle, even though the streets and path ways were icy. I had to wrestle with my inner pig dog - who is a pretty big guy at 6:00 am, but once I was at work and had a shower in the company's gym, I felt pretty energized all day long.

Cycling on Wednesday was more of a skiing experience - I rode home in about 5 cm of fresh snow. A friendly reminder that I live in Canada. I met Vik, my winter commuting coach, half way. Our lights are extremely bright - when I saw Vik coming towards me on the bike path, I thought it was a U.F.O coming towards me :) But, better safe than sorry. Visibility is certainly one of the most important things in winter commuting. Especially because my rides are in the dark in the morning and in the evening.

Most of my commute is on the bike path and so far I have seen deer every day. I also saw fresh wood chips on the path - Mr. Beaver left them there. And I see hundreds of geese and ducks along the river. Perfect destressing after work.

bicylces after a winter ride

Keine Kommentare: