Mittwoch, Mai 14, 2008

blogging away

This post shall serve to encourage YOU to start a blog. If you already have one and you read this post, please feel free to add a comment, as I am by no means an expert. I would describe myself as an intuitive user. If I can’t figure it out quickly, I blame the computer, call it "non-intuitive" or "stupid program" and move on to something else. Or I call a computer savvy friend.

Here are two free blog hosting services, I know of:


Blogger is what you see here. All you need is a gmail account. Fill in the form, think of a blog name, pick a layout, go to posts and write your first entry, add a picture, if you like, and you in the game. It's that easy! I recommend to say yes to "show word verification for comments" to avoid spam. And put your email address in the comment notification e-mail to get notified, when you have a new comment. In "Layout" you can add and delete page elements, like links, slideshows, widgets, and similar and personalize your blog.

Alternatively you can use wordpress. I have just recently started a blog about sustainability on wordpress - called dolessharm. I like their layouts, they look fresh and new to my blogspot-trained eye, but I still have to familiarize myself with all its functions.

Check out the Wiki How To site for more tips on how to start a blog.

But what are healthy boundaries in the blogosphere? Know that anyone with a computer and internet access can read your blog. That means, it could be your aunt, your co-worker, or whoever.

It’s NOT a good place to talk badly about people behind their back (there is no back - unless you make your blog private), if you don’t want them to know about it. Blogging is public domain. But I guess that is a good thing: it keeps us from wasting energy on gossiping.

The most important thing is: be authentic and have fun with it! I look forward to reading your blog.

Keine Kommentare: